Thursday, September 13, 2012

Raspberry Jam




One of the reasons, I've hesitated making preserves up until now is that I am scared of making some mistake and causing bacterial contamination or something. The nice thing about this jam, is all you need is a clean jar(s) - no sterilization required. Apparently it keeps for up to 2 months sealed in the fridge. I'll let you know if this is actually true ( if we don't eat it all before then:)


Raspberry Jam

8 cups raspberries ( fresh or frozen)
4 cups cane sugar

You can make as much or as little as you want. Just use half as much sugar as berries. You can not use different types of berries here. Raspberries have a high pectin content which allows them to naturally gel, but this won't happen with other types of berries. 

1. Place berries and sugar in large saucepan and stir to combine. 
2. Turn heat on med high and stir occasionally. 
3. Once berries start to simmer, turn down to medium low and continue stirring occasionally for 50 minutes. It should be thick. 
4. At this point, you can remove the seeds if you like. Carefully pour about 1-2 cups of liquid into a sieve and drain. Remove seeds from sieve, then repeat until finished. I did this with about 2 cups of mine, but felt like I was losing too much of the berries along with the seeds so stopped there. 
5. Allow jam to cool, then pour into clean jars and refrigerate for up to 2 months. 

Makes about 2 large jars of jam. 



For those of you who are thinking, "this isn't a healthy recipe! It's full of sugar.", here is my take on healthy. I do not have any one thing that I don't eat. I'm not gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, or vegan. However, I do eat a diet that contains lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds, whole grains, beans, tofu and fish. I do eat meat, but try not to eat it more than a couple of times per week mostly for ethical and environmental reasons. I eat a diet that makes me feel healthy and maintain a healthy weight. I do eat sweets, but in small portions. I believe that everybody is slightly different, so if there is something that doesn't make you feel good, don't eat it. After all, you know your body better than anyone else. So on this blog, you'll find all types of recipes - gluten free, vegetarian, sugar free, vegan, etc - because I'm game for trying anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment