Lemon Spelt Bread (Adapted from this recipe from Green Kitchen Stories which was adapted from a recipe by danish chef Oscar Umahro)
Makes 1 large loaf
1/2 C spelt flakes
1 medium sized lemon ( juice and zest)
1.5 C cold water
0.5 Tbsp salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1.5 Tbsp olive oil
3.5 C spelt flour
1. Mix the spelt flakes with lemon zest and juice and let sit for 15 minutes
2. Mix together the water, salt, yeast, and olive oil in a large bowl.
3. Gradually incorporate the flour and spelt flake mixture.
4. Knead for 5 minutes. It should be elastic and slightly moist
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
6. Form the dough into a long thin shape and put in the baking sheet and cover with a clean tea towel.
7. Let rise until twice its size ( about 2 hours) in a warm location.
8. Preheat oven to 425F.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes