Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quinoa Falafels



Recipe number 4 for Recipe Week comes directly from my newest cookbook: Quinoa Revolution by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming. I loved their last cookbook so much that I couldn't resist getting this one. I like how they've included the nutritional information with the recipes this time, and the desserts on average have less sugar. So far I've made 4 recipes, and I would make three of them again. So without futher ado:

Quinoa Falafels
taken from Quinoa Revolution, Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming 2012.


1 C water
1/2 C quinoa
1 1/2 C cooked chickpeas ( or one 14 oz can drained and rinsed)
1/2 C chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp minced garlic
1 large egg
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
2. Cook the quinoa with the water according to package directions. Let sit and fluff with a fork. 
3. Combine the chickpeas, parsley and garlic in a food processor until the chickpeas are finely chopped but not a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix only until just combined. 
4. Scoop out the mixture by the Tablespoon onto prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch between each.  Press down on each to make a small patty.
5. Bake the falafels for 10 minutes on each side. Let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Enjoy on a salad or in a pita with vegetables and yogurt.
7. I froze half of the falafels on a cookie sheet, and then transfered them to a ziploc bag, so that I could take them out of the freezer individually when I wanted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment