I feel like I owe you a few recipes in the next few days since its been awhile since my last post. We've had some computer problems and I'm fighting a cold so I haven't been feeling much like making interesting recipes. However, I have a back log of good ones I've made that I've been saving for this very occasion. So without further delay, here is your first recipe: Winter Pumpkin Salad
Winter Pumpkin Salad inspired by this recipe on Green Kitchen Stories
1/2 Cup Whole Grain Couscous
1 Cup boiling water
1/2 small pumpkin
1/2 of the seeds from a small pumpkin
1 avocado diced
1 stalk of brocolli cut into bite sized florets/pieces
1 handful of red or purple grapes
1 handful of mixed greens
1/4 C raisins
1 small handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
Prepare the couscous:
1. Place the couscous in a heat proof bowl, and cover with the boiling water. Let sit until all water is absorbed ( about 10-15 minutes). Fluff with a fork.
Prepare the pumpkin and pumpkin seeds ( this can be done ahead) :
1. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds. Wash off the seeds and dry them.
2. Peel the pumpkin and cut it into 1 inch square pieces. I roasted the whole pumpkin and all of the seeds, but only used 1/2 for the salad.
3. Place the pumpkin pieces on one tray, and spray with olive oil and salt
4. Place the pumpkin seeds on a second tray and lightly spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
5. Bake the pumpkin at 400F for 20-30 minutes. it should be soft and slightly brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely
6. Lower the oven temperature to 300F and roast the pumpkin seeds for about 45 minutes until lightly browned. As you can see from the pictures, we didn't quite roast them long enough.
Prepare the dressing:
1. Add all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to mix.
Put together the salad:
1. Place the cooked couscous, fruits and vegetables, cooled pumpkin and roasted seeds in a large bowl.