This is what I made myself for lunch today. It's just a simple hearty rice pilaf that's not too dry.
Black-eyed Pea Rice Pilaf
adapted from "Black-eyed Peas and Brown Rice" from The Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno 2007
3 Cups cooked brown rice
1 1/4 C water
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 C cooked black-eyed peas
1 bell pepper, seeded, and chopped
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
Extra virgin olive oil, to serve (optional)
1. Put rice in large bowl
2. In a large frying pan or wok, bring water, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and pepper to a boil, stiring frequently.
3. Add the black-eyed peas and return to a boil, stirring frequently.
4. Reduce to low, cover and simmer until most of water is absorbed ( about 20 minutes).
5. Add the rice, bell pepper, and hot-pepper sauce if using. Heat for 5 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with olive oil drizzled on top if desired while listening to your favorite music.