My mom used to make this cake, and serve it with vanilla ice cream and colored sprinkles. It was one of my favorites, and I still love sponge cake. It has a little bit more flavour and color than angel food cake because you use some egg yolks and a touch of lemon extract for a nice light, springy taste. Happy Easter!
Mom's Sponge Cake
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
pinch of salt
3/4 C cold water
1. Mix flour with baking powder.
2. Separate eggs. To whites add a pinch of salt and cream of tarter. Beat until stiff.
3. Beat yolks. Add sugar, lemon extract, and some water. Beat until light. Add the rest of the water, alternating with flour mixture, until all water and flour are added
4. Fold in egg whites.
5. Bake in ungreased pan at 325F for 1 hour.
6. Remove from oven and let cool upside down. I balance my pan on a glass.
7. Once cool, use a knife to loosen cake from pan, and remove. Enjoy with berries and ice cream or just eat plain.