The only beets that were part of my life growing up were pickled, and they did not appeal to me whatsoever. That image really stuck with me, and I never touched another beet until a couple of months ago. I can't believe all the deliciousness I've missed out on! I've certainly been making up for it though, from grated on salads, roasted beets in warm salads, and these simple oven roasted beets served as a side dish.
1. Peel 2 beets of different colors, then slice into 1 cm think pieces
2. Whisk together 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and 1 minced garlic clove
3. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Arrange beets in baking dish and drizzle with dressing.
5. Bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes ( until tender).
6. Serve as a side dish or on top of a salad.
Mediterranean Baked Chicken
2 small chicken breasts
freshly ground black pepper
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini. chopped
2 Tbsp fesh parsley
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic
1/2 C crumbled feta
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Arrange chicken breasts in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper
3. In a bowl, toss together all remaining ingredients except oil. Spoon over chicken.
4. Drizzle with olive oil.
5. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink.