This idea is not mine - I'm really not that creative! There are many variations on YouTube. They are so cute that I had to give it a try. Everyone loved it, and it was really fun to make.
It is the perfect refreshing treat for a summer party, especially if there are food intolerances you have to keep in mind. It's nut free, grain free, vegan, and dairy free, so it should be okay for just about everyone. It's also very healthy, so its okay for someone with diabetes or someone trying to watch their calorie intake.
1 large watermelon that is evenly rounded ( no flat edges)
Other fruit of your choice ( make sure you choose a variety of colors)
1 can full fat coconut milk
1. Place the full can of coconut milk in the refrigerator the night before you want to make the cake
2. Remove can from fridge and open.
3. There should be a layer of liquid which has formed on top. Discard the liquid.
4. Put the remaining cream in a bowl and whip just like you would whipped cream.
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the watermelon so that it will sit flat at both ends.
2. With the melon sitting on one of the cut edges, use a serrated knife to cut off the remainder of the skin. Try to cut lengthwise in straight lines.
3. Cut off any extra white patches that are visible, and try to round the edges as much as possible.
4. Slice the melon into 2 pieces. One of them will be the bottom layer of the cake. The other one will be the top layer. You will have to cut off some of the melon from the top layer to give the cake a tiered effect.
5. Next make your decorations using a melon baller, cookie cutters, and whatever else you may like.
1. Place the lower tier on a very sturdy large plate. This is a heavy cake!
2. Put a layer of coconut whipped cream on the bottom layer
3. Place the second tier on top, then coat it with a layer of coconut cream.
4. Decorate the cake as you choose, using toothpicks to hold everything together. Make sure to warn your guests of the toothpicks:)