Let me first tell you that this is probably the most unhealthy thing I have yet to post on my blog, but also one of the most delicious. It's definitely a special occasion kind of cake.
The pictures are a bit dark, so you can't really tell what the consistency it like, but it is just like a souffle. Warm, moist, and decadent. We went all out and topped it with real whipped cream. This recipe makes a 6" cake, which was perfect for 4 servings. Whenever I make a really unhealthy dessert, I usually scale it down so we only have one or 2 servings.
very slightly adapted from The Earthbound Cook by Myra Goodman
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, chopped up, plus more for greasing the pan
cocoa powder for dusting the pan
225 g 70% high quality dark chocolate
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Grease bottom and sides of 6" springform pan with butter, then dust with cocoa. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper
3. Place the butter and chocolate in the top of the double boiler and water in the bottom. Gently heat water, and stir chocolate and butter until melted. Remove from heat.
4. Separate the eggs.
5. Place egg yolks and sugar in bowl and whisk until it is thick and pale yellow. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
6. Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
7. Stir one third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest.
8. Pour into prepared pan.
9. Bake 35-45 minutes. Cake should be starting to pull away from the sides and look slightly cracked on top.
10. Cool the cake on a rack, then remove sides of pan.
11. Serve slices of cake topped with whipped cream if desired.