Saturday, August 24, 2013

Happy First Birthday!

Today is a day to celebrate.  It's the first birthday of my blog - The Scarlet Spoon. For a birthday present to myself, I hired my awesome friend to design me a logo which you see on my homepage and right here:

I'm so impressed. I've also decided to get a Facebook page for my blog, so if you'd like to follow me that way, like me on Facebook today and tell all of your friends.


Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache and Honey Boiled Icing
inspired by my Mom and Grammie



Cake:
1/4 C cocoa, plus extra for dusting
1 C whole spelt flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
4 eggs
1/4 C maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
3/8 C butter
0.5 C milk of choice

1. Preheat oven to 325 F
2. Butter 2 small round pans ( I used a 6 inch and a 7 inch), line with parchment paper, and lightly dust with cocoa powder
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. 
3. Stir together wet ingredients. 
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients. 
5. Pour in prepared pans and cook for 40 minutes. 
6. Remove from oven allow to cool completely. This can be done ahead of time. I wrapped mine and froze them for a few days, and took them out of the freezer this morning. 

Ganache
100g 70% chocolate
50g full fat coconut milk

1. Mix together chocolate and coconut milk in a sauce pan. Heat over low heat while stirring until completely melted and luscious. 
2. Use as a filling between the two layers of cake




Honey boiled icing
2 egg whites
1/2 C honey
1 tsp vanilla

1. Add all ingredients to the top of a double boiler. 
2. Heat water and mix ingredients with a hand held mixer until light a fluffy. 
3. Top cake with icing. 

Garnish cake with shaved dark chocolate.

Enjoy in the company of great friends. 



2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Love the list of goals, looks like a recipe for success. And if you ever need a Guinea Pig for your desserts like above, just give me a holler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may get to sample something sooner than you think....

      Delete