Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mom's Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing


This was the first time I made and used royal icing, and I probably didn't let it set long enough before packing up the cookies, but now I know that when it says, leave it for 30 minutes, that you should actually leave it. I'll be making some more over the next few weeks, so there's time for improvement. My Mom's sugar recipe is my favorite. It's crispy, yet melt in your mouth and of course its that familiar taste of home. She always uses butter cream icing, which I love, but I felt like trying the royal icing for a change. It's definitely a little more difficult to work with. It starts to harden when its exposed to air so you really have to work quickly. If you're not going to use it right away, package it in a sealed Ziploc baggie with the air removed or in a bowl covered with a damp towel. You can do lots of fun things with color, but I decided to do mostly white this year, and I liked the results. I got the idea from the cover of a magazine. 


 Mom's Sugar Cookies

1 C butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
41/2C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 C icing sugar
1 C canola oil

1. Cream butter and sugar. 
2. Beat in eggs, one at a time until light a fluffy. 
3. Add oil, vanilla, and lemon extract. Beat until well mixed. 
4. Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture.
5. Wrap and chill dough for several hours or over night. 
6. Roll the dough and cut with cookie cutters. 
7. Bake at 325F for 8-10 minutes. 

Royal Icing

2 C icing sugar
2 Tbsp meringue powder
3-4 Tbsp water

1. Using the paddle attachment for your mixer, beat ll ingredients together at high speed until smooth and thick. 
2. If desired, add coloring. 
2. Immediately transfer to a resealable bag and either refrigerate or pipe onto the cookies. If using sprinkles and other decorations, quickly add them before the icing hardens.
3. Let cookies set for 30 minutes. 



Nutritional info per cookie for 96 cookies (without icing)  

cal 76.5
fat 4.4g
   sat fat 1.5g
carbs 8.7g
    fiber 0.2g
    sugar 4.1g
protein 0.7g

No comments:

Post a Comment