And I'm back after a crazy hiatus! I apologize to my loyal followers, but it was a much needed break to take a university nutrition course as well as get a small business up and running. Of course, even though I haven't been posting anything on here lately, I've still been cooking lots of yummy food and taking pics, so I'll be posting something every day or two until I'm all caught up. Today it's going to be Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup. Its one of those recipes you want to keep going back for more, and its okay because its loaded with protein and fiber and low in fat and sugar.
Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup
adapted from 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal Barnard, M.D which can be found here; recipe by Jason Wyrick of the Vegan Culinary Experience.
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, sliced
6 cups cooked black beans, low-sodium if canned
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 small potatoes, chopped
1. Sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic over medium heat until they are soft.
2. Puree the onion, garlic, and peppers. Add about half the beans and puree with enough water to create a semi-thick soup.
3. Return this to the pot and add the remaining ingredients (except the potatoes).
4. Bring the soup to a simmer. Add the potatoes and continue simmering until they’re soft.
5. Before serving, remove the bay leaf (or eat around it).
Nutritional Information Per serving (for 4 servings):
Fat: 1.9 g
Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
Protein: 20 g
Carbohydrates: 80 g
Sugar: 5 g
Fiber: 26 g