This post won't be long because I want to get outside and enjoy the fantastic weather we've been having. However, I wanted to give you a couple of really fresh testing seasonal recipes with a hint of red and white to help you celebrate our nation's birthday. Happy Canada Day!
Fresh Mache and Pea Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
adapted from "Spring Mache Salad" from Food to Live By by Myra Goodman 2006
1/2 C fresh shelled peas, sugar snap peas or a combination of both
1-2 large handfuls of Mache
1 large stalk of celery, sliced
2 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
1. Arrange all ingredients in a bowl and top with Lemon Vinaigrette
Juice from 1/2 of a large lemon + an equal amount of garlic infused olive oil
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp dill
1. Place all ingredients in a jar with a lid.
2. Shake vigorously.
3. Store left overs in the fridge for use within a couple of days.
Approximate Nutritional Information per serving with vinaigrette
sat fat 2g
adapted from "Raspberry Cream Scones" from Food to Live By by Myra Goodman 2006
1.5 Tbsp chia seeds
1 1/4 C Almond Milk
3 C unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 C sugar plus 2 Tbsp for topping
1.5 Tbsp baking powder
3 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp butter cut into bits and chilled
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 C fresh strawberries, hulled, washed, and sliced
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Preheat oven to 400F
3. Mix chia seeds with 1/3 C of the milk in a medium bowl and set aside to gel
4. Place the flour, 1/2 C sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
5. Add the butter, and using a pastry cutter or your hands, blend the mixture until it is crumbly
6. Add the rest of the milk and vanilla to the chia mixture. Whisk well to combine.
7. Add the chia mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just barely combined. Gently fold in the strawberries.
8. Turn out the dough onto a gently floured work surface. Shape the dough into a disk about 4 cm thick. Cut the dough into 10 wedges.
9. Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet.
10. Brush the scones with a small amount of milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
11. Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 15-20 minutes.
12. Serve warm.
Approximate Nutritional Information