Thursday, June 12, 2014

My Return to Blogging and Chocolate Chili Power Balls


My return to Blogging (and a Life)

Well let's just say that I definitely didn't keep my promise to provide you with a new recipe every week this year. I haven't even been able to do one a month for the past little while, but things, they are a changing. I have a new job, a nicer schedule, and my stress levels are down which means lots more time to do the things I love like cooking, blogging, exercising and eating healthy food.

I've decided to start with a great recipe that I adapted slightly from the Thrive Diet. I am going hiking this weekend with a great friend of mine and need some portable snacks that provide an energy boost and more importantly, chocolate.

It's been a while since I've been on a good hike, and I'm looking forward to reconnecting with nature. Although this time of year is the worst for bugs, the temperatures are perfect for a day outside in the sun. We're going to a mountain that used to be a ski hill. I guess some local residents have been fixing the place up for the last couple of years so that people can enjoy the mountain again on foot or on their bikes. We used to drive by the hill all the time when I was younger so I'm hoping that I get nostalgic when we arrive. I love the memories that seem to resurface in those times.

This recipe is so easy. It only takes minutes to prepare so you could even do it the morning before a hike if you wanted.

Chocolate Chili Power Balls
adapted from "Spicy Chocolate Energy Bars" from The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier 2007

1 small banana
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 C soft medjool dates
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/4 C cocoa
1/4 C ground flaxseed
1/4 C walnuts
sea salt to taste
2 Tbsp hemp seeds

1. In food processor, process all ingredients together except the hemp seeds. 
2. Shape into balls and coat with the hemp seeds

Makes 12 balls

Nutritional Information ( per ball)
cal 129
fat 4.7g
carbs 22.7g
    fibre 3.4g
    sugar 17.2g
protein 2.6g
    

No comments:

Post a Comment